However, Pyotr Pletnyov was reappointed Rector and ultimately became the longest-serving rector of Saint Petersburg University (1840–1861).
In 1859–1861, female part-time students could attend lectures in the university.
During 1861–1862, there was student unrest in the university, and it was temporarily closed twice during the year.
The students were denied freedom of assembly and placed under police surveillance, and public lectures were forbidden. After the unrest, in 1865, only 524 students remained.
The university has two primary campuses: one on Vasilievsky Island and the other in Peterhof.
During the Soviet period, it was known as Leningrad State University (Russian: The Twelve Collegia building on Vasilievsky Island in Saint Petersburg is the university's main building and the seat of the rector and administration (the building was constructed on the orders of Peter the Great for the 12 collegia) by the Academic Ranking of World Universities outperforming the rest of universities in Russia excluding Moscow State University.
In 1830, Tsar Nicholas returned the entire building of the Twelve Collegia back to the university, and courses resumed there.
It is the oldest and one of the largest universities in Russia.Founded in 1724 by a decree of Peter the Great, the University from the very beginning has had a strong focus on fundamental research in science, engineering and humanities, and equipped its graduates with what it takes to contribute to Russia’s success.It is made up of 24 specialized faculties and institutes,the Academic Gymnasium, the Medical College, the College of Physical culture and Sports, Economics and Technology.In 1880, the Ministry of National Enlightenment forbade students to marry and married persons could not be admitted.In 1882, another student unrest took place in the university.