Dating for iowa
Park facilities constructed of native timber and field stone by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in the 1930's are still standing today.
Ledges was proposed as a state park as early as 1914.
At the time of European settlement, the Ledges area was inhabited by the Sauk, Fox (now the Mesqwakie) and Sioux.
Native American mounds in the vicinity contain artifacts acting as silent reminders of the area's past inhabitants.
Ledges has a long history of being flooded by the nearby Des Moines River.
The major flood water levels have been recorded on a "flood pole" located in the lower area of the park. The Oak Woods picnic shelter and nearby restroom, located in the eastern area of the park, are fully accessible.